UPDATE: I uploaded a new installer to both sites last night, it fixes an animation problem with the right wheel on all models, and the gyro compass in the F1. You should be able to just re-download the installer. The new manual has an amendment list on the second page.
So after some final last minute adjustments the Firefly is ready for download. It’s currently available at:
The Fairey Firefly was designed to fill a 1939 specification for a two seat, single engine, front gun fighter for the Fleet Air Arm, to replace the Fulmar which was about to enter service as a rush measure.
Due to other demands on the first Firefly F1s weren’t delivered until March 1943, with 1770 forming as the first operational squadron in July 1944 and soon in action taking part in the pre-D-Day attacks on the Tirpitz. Subsequent operations would see 1770, 1771, and 1772 operating in the Indian and Pacific Oceans with Fireflies being the first British built combat aircraft to fly over the Japanese islands.
Towards the end of the war the radar equipped FR.1 and NF.1 were introduced, the former for armed reconnaissance, the later for night interception. Both arrived in the Pacific too late to take part in combat but were busy throughout the region up to the outbreak of the Korean War when 827 squadron took part in the first air strike of the war with its F.1 and FR.1 aircraft.
- 10 authentic liveries covering the Fleet Air Arm, Dutch Navy, Royal Canadian Navy, Thai Navy, and Ethiopian Air Force
- Multiple stores options including extended range tanks and 60lb rockets
- Youngman Flaps with a low drag cruising position and a high drag landing setting
- Functioning Reflector (F1) and Gyro Gunsight (FR1 & NF1)
- Flight model based on original pilots notes and assorted historical publications from the archives
- PDF manual covering handling, engine, and systems operation
- AN/APS-6 radar display
- Paint kit
- F1 1770 NAS, HMS Indefatigable, Jan 1945
- F1 1772 NAS, HMS Indefatigable, July 1945
- F1 1770 NAS, HMS Implacable, 1944
- F1 860 NAS, Royal Netherlands Navy, 1946
- FR1 814 NAS, HMS Venerable, 1946
- FR1 826 NAS, Royal Canadian Navy, 1947
- FR1 827 NAS, HMS Triumph, 1950
- FR1, Ethiopian Air Force, 1951
- FR1, Thai Navy, 1951
- NF1, 812 NAS ‘Black Flight’, HMS Ocean, 1949