TacPack

Worryingly over a year ago I said I’d add TacPack to the Firefly! The screenshots above show I’ve actually got around to finishing it off by making the rockets, and bombs, work along with the guns. The eagle eyed will spot the rockets turn into HVAR after leaving the rails because VRS haven’t got a 60lb RP model yet.

There’s a bit of tweaking to some gauge code to stop the built in weapon firing from functioning if TacPack is installed (currently I get round it by using a different trigger button) and then I’ll issue an update. Basically if you have TacPack it will take precedence, if you don’t the original system should work seamlessly.

If you’ve ever used Henrik’s Global AI Ship Traffic you’ll have realised it’s a labour of love. He’s currently working on adding some Falklands Conflict shipping and was on the hunt for a Wessex HU5 to put on the deck of Fearless and the Atlantic Conveyor. So in a fit of enthusiasm I managed to convert the old Flying Stations AI HAS1 into a passable static model.

Not sure what the expected release is for the Falklands traffic but hopefully in the next few months.

Right I should probably get back to the Seafire…

Measure Twice…

Updating to Win 10 was relatively painless, except I seem to have lost the most recent model file! This shouldn’t have happened as the only thing on my C drive is the operating system and programs, all my model files, textures, essays, etc. etc. are on a separate drive and in most cases on Dropbox. Presumably I was accidentally working from a recovered file which was on the C drive, which got formatted when I did a clean install of Win 10 before Win 7 went end of life…

Helpfully Model Converter X let me recover the missing bits that had already made it to a P3D model so the only things I really lost were the instrument panels! Fortunately this didn’t take too long to make a second time and I’ve now done most of the gauges. Helpfully there’s normally a choice of options with most Spit/Seafire gauges, so I’ve gone for the ones in the Seafire pilots notes.

The moral from this story? Probably make sure your files are where you think they are before you reformat a drive!!

Cockpit

Just a quick post to show the beginnings of the interior. The instrument panel uses a lot of standard instruments that I’ve modelled before but as I’ve got dimensioned drawings for them I’m remodelling them. I should still be able to reuse the gauge artwork which will speed things up a bit.

Spinning Around

With a bit of time off over Christmas the external mapping is now more or less finished, give or take some minor animated parts that will go on a separate small texture. This has also let me check the different textures are aligned properly by applying the standard pattern camouflage. At the moment the textures are 2048×2048 but I’ll up this to 4096×4096 for the final product.

I’ve also modelled the four bladed prop, this appears to be more or less the same as was used on the later two-stage Merlin Spitfires. It was only used on the low-level Seafires with the cropped supercharger that gave combat power up to 2750′. The standard Merlin gave max boost up to 14000′ and was paired with the three bladed prop. Oddly although the Spitfire V came in normal and low-level versions as well it only seems to have ever had the three bladed prop.

With a single-speed single-stage supercharger as used in the early Merlins the cropped unit for the low-level version took less power from the engine . Hence although it was providing the same boost as the standard engine at 2750′ the engine was providing more power to the propeller, by a few hundred horsepower.

Flying Stations Freeware

With Flying Stations website closing down imminently I’ve added the freeware downloads here. Still need to decide what to do with the payware stuff, however if you’ve already purchased something and need a reload get in touch and I can sort it out.

Wyvern for FSX

Wyvern for Strike Fighters

Victorious 1940

Victorious 1944

Victorious 1960

Victorious 1966

Swordfish

Swordfish Catapult Mod

Mew Gull

Ark Royal

Internals

Before mapping the windscreen and canopy frame I thought I should probably finish making them. Then I thought I’d do something about the see through fuselage. Of course I still haven’t mapped the framing…

You can just make out the canopy jettison mechanism on the outside of the frame, which is a lot more Heath Robinson than I’d imagined. Basically you pull a cable which is routed to the outside of the canopy on either side. This pulls two bars forwards which are hooked onto pins that extend from the canopy runners through the framing. Once they’re unhooked the pilot used his elbows to push the front of the canopy wider and wind flow does the rest!

Just the canopy locking mechanism to do and then I might actually finish the external mapping…